Friday, October 07, 2005

" … we were driving by the church and the cemetery this morning and noticed the black cat and the pumpkin on a grave, and we’re, really, am- ... you know, upset that in a Christian graveyard we would have these things that represent the goblins and the ghosts and the evil things that are out before all saint’s day on November the 1st, it’s none of my business at all, but it really, it really struck a bad note in our mind, and I just wanted to make a comment that uh, I know that the graveyard is connected with the church, and as Christians, I feel real bad about us playing up things that are of the devil. I just wanted, I don’t mean to be ugly or anything like that, but I just did want to make that statement. Thank you very much."

The message was left on our voice mail yesterday afternoon. The woman may have identified herself at the beginning of her message, but had already started speaking before the message began recording, so there were no identifying remarks on the message. We do have callerID. They are not members of our congregation, but do live nearby.

It struck something. While I can, on one level, understand where she's coming from, by the same token, it needs to be noted that the person doing the decorating is a woman who has lost the love of her life, and is alone, and is in the habit of decorating her husband's grave whatever the season or holiday. She spends time at the grave also. I don't go out there when she's there, but it does appear that she is talking to her husband.

The long and short of it is, people deal with grief in their own way. I think we should allow as much room and grace as possible for her to do that.

Grace & peace

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's very UN-Christian-like to blog about something so private and intimate. You even say that it's none of your business at all yet you continue with your close-minded opinion. Maybe this is nothing more than a gossip blog. I can't help but feel this way about Southern Christians. Being raised in a church similar to yours has opened my eyes to the ugly truth. The "Christians" I was raised around would turn their backs on you if you "sinned" or did something to make them "look bad". No second chances. Mess up once and you're done. I'm not accusing you of doing that, not at all, it just bothers me that you'd take the time to blog about something so trivial. I'm sure this woman has fond memories of her husband at Halloween, getting dressed up and handing out candy to the children or whatever they may have done. The Halloween we all celebrate today is harmless fun. No one is worshipping the devil or dancing naked around a fire sacrificing chickens....it's a holiday for the children. What's wrong with getting decked out in pirate gear, demanding candy from your neighbors? It's innocent fun. Cut this poor woman some slack...there are far worse things going on in this world.

Kenny said...

I appreciate your comment ... but I think you may have misread what I wrote ...

You and I are making exactly the same point. The first paragraph is a quote from a woman who was criticizing the decorations ...