Tuesday, February 03, 2004

There is something about sitting beside someone who is either asleep or nonresponsive that makes you THINK about exactly why it is that you are there.

There's something about presence, the actual, physical presence, that makes a difference. There were a few words exchanged today.

Stacy will probably be going home tomorrow, since the insurance coverage ran out last week. Home Health Care can do for her at her parent's what they are doing for her at the hospital now.

Margaret was in some pain with her hip, George was asleep, as he usually is. So was Alice. Annie had other visitors, so I chose to come back later. Irene was asleep as well.

I know there is a school of thought that says if someone is asleep, you should wake them and visit anyway. I'm not there yet. Sleep is a precious comodity, but then, I'm coming at this from the viewpoint of 3 little children running around the house, not having spent the last x number of years in a nursing home or an assisted living center, with few distractions, and fewer visitors.

I can hold hands, O God, and I can pray. I don't always have words to sooth, so I'm trusting your presence in me to do that.

No comments: